Golf season begins for men’s team

by Chelsie Rohrs

It is that time of year again. The weather is getting nice; students are getting anxious for summer, and the clubs are swinging.

The Simpson College men’s golf team is hitting the driving range to get ready for its upcoming season.

The men’s golf team finished seventh in the conference last season and graduated three seniors.

“It will be a big thing for our returning players to step up and see if we can do better this year,” junior Matt Haley said. “Some of us never played at the conference meet last year, so it will be a good thing to have some experienced players back, and we have some good recruits that came in,”

A new year also comes with new expectations; and for this year the expectations are high for the men’s golf team. Head coach Jason Marvelli hopes to improve from one season to the next, and his expectations for his veterans and newer players.

“I am hoping to have some really nice play out of Andy Hutchins, a freshman this year,” Marvelli said. “I am also maybe hoping some of my veterans will step up and play a little better in the fall. My freshmen class looks fantastic; it is probably one of the best recruiting class for numbers and the best I have had since being here. It just kind of clicked this year.”

Expectations from senior Marc Don Carlos are also high.

“Some expectations for this season are to be one of the top contenders in the conference,” Don Carlos said. “I am expecting more competition within the team for the five varsity sports, and we have more guys than last year that are capable of shooting low scores.”

In preparation for their upcoming season, the top seven golfers on the team took a trip to Arizona during Spring Break and played at different courses throughout the week.

“We just practiced all day every day,” Haley said. “It was really nice.”

The golfers were able to address their own individual goals during the weeklong practice.

“I am going to focus on my short game in practice,” Don Carlos said.

All the swings, drives and putts during the season will get the men’s team ready for the meet they look forward to the most: conference.

“Conference is where it all matters,” Haley said. “That is what everyone works hard for.”

The Simpson College men’s golf team will start off its season on March 27 in Indianola on its home course.

Surrounding teams in the conference will be in attendance along with AIB and Grandview.

“Since our first meet is at home we have a big advantage and should come out in the top two teams,” Haley said.

“Even though it is early in the season we should be the ones who come out on top,” Don Carlos said.

For the first couple meets, Marvelli is hoping to see some improvement from last year and have his incoming and veteran players achieve team goals.

“One of the team’s goals is to be top five in the conference and beat their rival team–Central,” freshman Jimmy Siebert said.

Marvelli is excited for this upcoming season and has set reachable goals.

“I think we have to set realistic expectations so we can actually reach them,” Marvelli said. “I think a realistic goal for us this year is to finish third or fourth in the conference, but we are going to have to play really well.”