Men’s basketball falls in high-scoring battle to William Penn

by Brock Borgeson

OSKALOOSA, Iowa – Men’s basketball’s three-game win streak came to an end as Simpson College fell to William Penn University, 92-76.

Simpson (3-2) only lead once, coming at 27-25 with 8:36 remaining in the first half as the Statesmen lead from nearly wire to wire.

William Penn (8-3) had only six players who scored in the game, although four players combined for 84 of the team’s 92 points.

The Statesmen would go on a 14-4 run to start the half, giving them their largest lead of the evening, up 65-45 with 14:47 to go in the second half.

Simpson was able to get within six points of the Statesmen at 70-64 with nine minutes remaining although the Storm weren’t able to finish the comeback as William Penn continued to feed a high powered offense.

The Storm showed great depth in the loss, outscoring William Penn 41-2 in bench points.

Once again, senior Charles Swain lead the way in scoring, finishing with 18 points as Ryan Skaar poured in five threes, finishing with 15 points.

Sophomore DJ Dafney, filling in for Tyler Anderson, had another productive game. The 6’ 2” sophomore from West Des Moines Valley had 10 points, six rebounds and 3 assists in 27 minutes.

Freshman Jamie Montgomery had an efficient game, scoring nine points in 16 minutes while another freshman, Sam Amsbaugh was held to a season low in points with four.

Improvement on the glass will continue to be a point of emphasis and concern for head coach Charles Zanders as the Storm were outrebounded, 44-31.

Simpson will turn around and face yet another Minnesotan opponent as they take on Concordia-Moorhead (Minn.) at 5 p.m. on Friday. Play will take place from Nebraska Wesleyan University, the host school of the weekend tournament.