SCTV 4/18/24 Final Episode of Semester
by Aaron Wilkins and Sam HyingApril 18, 2024

Jay Byers
Byers reflects on his first year as Simpson's president
by Kenzie Van Haaften, Staff Writer • April 17, 2024

“I remember the first time I stepped foot on campus, and I thought, ‘wow, what a beautiful place. This looks like what a college is supposed...

Madeline Peterson and the Simpson Storm softball collected an 18 game winning streak.
Commitment. Respect. Grit.
by Abby Hintz, ID Magazine Editor & Layout Editor • April 17, 2024

The Simpson Storm softball team has been making history this season as the team with the second-longest winning streak in school history.  The...

The NFL reigns supreme

This past week was the start of America’s favorite pastime, the National Football League (NFL). The NFL is truly one of a kind, with its popularity reaching heights that other sports do not come close to. There is just nothing that comes close to a Sunday afternoon, hearing NFL on Fox come across your television. 

With each season comes a new story to be written by each individual team. This story will either be that of success or failure. What success is for one team can be an outright failure to another, which I believe is one of the best aspects of the NFL. 

The fanbase of a team can always see some type of positive at the end of a season, whether that be going 0-17 and getting the first pick in the draft, or winning what every team strives to win: the Super Bowl. 

There are several popular sports leagues, such as the National Basketball Association (NBA), Major League Baseball (MLB) and the National Hockey League (NHL), but none come close to the popularity of the NFL. This is evident by viewership, ticket sales, and all-around fan interaction with the league. So, that brings the question, why is the NFL the best?

I would say that question can be answered by simply watching an NFL game. The game itself supplies exciting gameplay, rivalries that stretch back decades, and unpredictable outcomes. These elements, along with having some of the best athletes in the world competing against each other, makes for an experience unlike any other. 

The NFL does not only deliver a product on the field that is one of a kind, but off the field as well, with games available on television, radio and online. They have also transitioned into online sports betting to allow the average fan to feel closer to the action. 

These different platforms allow the NFL to reach a large audience, which in turn gets them new fans regularly. This, along with lifelong fans who would do anything to see their favorite team hoist the Lombardi trophy, help the league prosper. 

I have been fortunate these past years, as a diehard Chiefs fan, to see my team win two Super Bowls in 2019 and 2022. But success was not always the case for my favorite team. 

Before 2019, they hadn’t won a Super Bowl since 1970, and they don’t always win now. 

I seem to let the impact of their games determine my mood, which is probably not a good thing, but I care deeply about my team, and I enjoy seeing them win. This is the case for most loyal fans.

I know this season will be a rollercoaster of emotions for many fans out there watching teams compete every Sunday, but we can all agree we are happy that the NFL is back.