Photo from the Des Moines Register
Former Simpson professor sentenced to 10 years
by Kenzie Van Haaften, Editor-in-chief • April 26, 2024

Gowun Park, a former assistant professor of economics at Simpson who faced kidnapping and murder charges back in 2020, pled guilty on Thursday,...

Auditing changes lead to missing funds and mass confusion
by Ryan Magalhães, Feature Editor • April 26, 2024

Several faculty advisors realized last week that their organization’s accounts did not have the funds that they expected. This left some organizations...

Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Review: "The Tortured Poets Department"

Well, hello there, fellow tortured poets. I’m glad you’re here. At least “here” on The Simpsonian website. This is my final review of...

Opinion on Simpson College

My opinion on Simpson College as a transfer student who came from Briar Cliff University is that I think of it like another home. 

I think the community here is very rare and one of a kind; it’s very diverse here, the sports here are very supportive, as well as the staff. I like to feel like I’m a part of something bigger as I walk the halls of campus. 

I think Simpson is going in the right direction by changing things around for the students like redoing the dorms, the library, the athletic departments and more. The student-athletes appreciate those types of investments because it shows that Simpson cares for their athletic programs and not many schools do that, in my opinion, as well. 

I tend to think that as I’m going through the weeks of doing school, the professors are nice and helpful, and they want to be there for me as a person. Most colleges don’t have those types of teachers and it is hard to find good teachers that care for students’ mental health or anything that the students have going on in their personal life. 

As I walk around the campus, I feel like the students try to include me in whatever they are doing or as part of their friend group, especially as a new student coming to a new environment, it means a lot to me. Simpson is really open in all aspects of things and with that, it will be one of the schools I’ll endure. 

I think some people will agree with me and some might have their own opinion and that’s fine. I think as time goes on, Simpson will be the top school when it comes to academics and athletics. I am glad I decided to come here and be apart of something greater for myself and to be a part of the new era of building a better athletic program. I really appreciate Simpson College for welcoming me in as one of their own and I hope I have good success here and for the future.