New freshmen provide new talent

by Nicole Dillenburg

The Simpson men and women’s swim team may have lost some talent, but both are hoping to gain it back through determined, hard-working freshmen.

“With 12 total incoming freshmen, I think we have a tremendous nucleus to build around,” Aaron Strain, head men and women’s swim coach said. “We are not where we want to be, but we have made tremendous strides in the right direction the last 12 months.”

The large amount of freshmen on the team offers not only skill, but also an array of different swimming styles.

Freshman swimmer Megan Lein is one of the newcomers looking forward to the season.

“I am looking forward to see the program grow; in numbers and on a personal level,” Lein said. “We have a wide range of talent on our team from those who are at a beginning level to state qualifiers. But no matter who the person is, it is awesome when you see a time drop in their times. The best part of being on the team is bonding and supporting each other.”

Junior and women’s team captain Anna Aldridge agrees that the freshmen add something extra to the team.

“All of them will help the team,” Aldridge said. “We have more of a variety of swimmers; not all of us are solely one-stroke swimmers, so we’ll be able to branch out and try new events and hopefully get more points on the board.”

The men and women’s team began its season with its first practice on Oct. 3.

“We will be doing two-a-days three times a week, for the entire season, and lifting those three days as well,” Aldridge said.

The team is also focusing on leadership and having each player function as part of a whole.

“We don’t have many upperclassmen on the team so having Anna is essential element,” Lein said. “I am excited to get to know her and I hope that she helps us keeps our attitudes positive and helps us adjust to college level swimming.”

Aldridge is focused on developing better bonds within the team for this season.

“Rather than having a ‘win/lose’ mindset, I am more concerned about the team becoming a family and sticking together and working hard,” Aldridge said. “What I’m expecting from this team is that we will actually be a team, and be closer and work harder than we have ever done in the past.”

Strain wants all of the team to fill leadership roles, and organized a workshop so the whole team can learn the skills required.

“On Oct. 14 the team is attending a leadership workshop at Camp Dodge in Johnston,” Strain said. “This should be a beneficial experience that includes the Army’s obstacle course.”

The first meet for both teams will be at the Augsburg Pentathlon Oct. 22.