Men’s win boosts ‘morale,’ women fall to Coe

by Madison Boswell

Simpson’s men’s swimming team defeated Coe 77-67 in the Iowa Conference opener on Friday, Nov. 11, with each member of the team winning an event.

As a new, growing program, the Storm achieved their first recorded conference win.

The Simpson men started out strong to win the 200 freestyle relay, finishing in 1:56.58.

“We started off the meet by winning the first relay which was really fun,” freshman Stephen Schmidt said. “It got everyone’s morale up to start out the first meet.”

Freshman Nathan Schneider, won the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:18.98 along with the 100 butterfly. Schmidt, former Iowa Conference Swimmer of the week, won the 50 freestyle (26.32) and 100 backstroke.

Freshman Cody Zaring aided in the storm victory by winning the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke. Sophomore Dustin Martens also took first in the 400 freestyle.

Such a strong start to the season is helping morale and keeping the team focused for the season ahead.

“We did very well as a team,” Schmidt said. “Nothing amazing yet since we are just starting out the season, but we beat Coe, which was one of our goals for the season.”

Every member of the men’s team assisted in the win and had individual successes.

“The most successful event for the team would be the medley relay,” Schmidt said. “We have a really strong medley relay. I think to improve for the next meet we just need to stay focused during the meet and keep cheering people on.”

The women’s team fell to Coe 106-79 that same night.

Hannah Yarborough had a successful meet, winning two individual events, the 400 and 800 freestyle, by over a minute in the 800 and by 26 seconds in the 400. Yarborough also assisted the Storm in it’s 200 freestyle relay win.

“Although the girls lost on Friday to Coe, we gave everything we had,” freshman Megan Lein said. “Every person on the team had great times on Friday night and swam exceptionally well for the start of a season. It was a successful way to start the season and I can’t wait to see what we accomplish in the next few months.”

After a disqualification, the Storm 200 freestyle relay team took first with a time of 2:13.13. The 200 freestyle relay team consisted of senior Catherine Mayes, sophomore Ashley Ziebell and freshmen Emily Magers and Yarborough.

“The best part of the meet was watching my teammates compete to the best of their ability and winning events,” freshman Stefani Smith said. “As a team we did great. We got outnumbered, but surely not out-talented. I wouldn’t say we got our best times considering that it’s only the second meet, but I would say there is still improvement that needs to be done.”

Lein took first in the 100 backstroke, and Smith won the 200 IM in 2:49. Junior Anna Aldridge also took second-place in the 50 freestyle with a time of 30.54.

“The best part of any meet is when there is a really close race and everyone in the pool is shouting for you or a teammate to go faster, to pull, to kick harder, and to win the race,” Lein said. “Everyone gets really into it; our teammates are at the edge of the pool screaming at the swimmer, there were our friends who came to cheer us on, our parents there for support and motivation, and most importantly our coaches at the side of the pool watching our swims and giving us advice.”

The women’s team is focused on improving and working hard for the next meet.

“To improve for our next meet we need to have faster times which means working harder these next few days until our next meet,” Smith said.

Lein said she is confident that every swimmer gave everything she had in the meet.

“The most successful part of any meet is getting out of the pool panting, gasping for breath, and knowing that you did your absolute best in your event,” Lein said. “There wasn’t any particular event that stood out above the others in terms of success, because every individual gave it their all in every race.”

The Storm’s next meet is at home against Loras on Nov. 18 at 6 p.m.