Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Review: "The Tortured Poets Department"
by Kyle Werner, Managing Editor & Social Media Manager • April 19, 2024

Well, hello there, fellow tortured poets. I’m glad you’re here. At least “here” on The Simpsonian website. This is my final review of...

SCTV 4/18/24 Final Episode of Semester
by Aaron Wilkins and Sam HyingApril 18, 2024

Jay Byers
Byers reflects on his first year as Simpson's president
by Kenzie Van Haaften, Staff Writer • April 17, 2024

“I remember the first time I stepped foot on campus, and I thought, ‘wow, what a beautiful place. This looks like what a college is supposed...

Cross country is regionally ranked

Courtesy Athletics photographer Frank Novak
Both halves of the team earned a spot in the top ten on the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Midwest Regional Preseason Rankings. The women were ranked fifth, the best ranking in program history, while the men also ranked fifth, tied for the best ranking in program history.

This year, the men’s cross country team has regularly topped its opponents under the excellent supervision of Coach Moenck. Their incredible run includes winning the Bill Buxton Invitational, where they outran competitors with an astounding display of stamina, speed, and tactical brilliance.

Coach Moenck applauded his squad’s diligence and dedication, saying, “We have had a nice three-week training block, and we are putting the pieces together for the team.”

Not to be overlooked, the women’s cross country squad has been raising attention with their outstanding efforts as well. They, too, have accumulated a fair amount of achievements, and their consistency and collaboration have established them as a power to be contended with in the world of cross country running, winning the Bill Buxton Invitational.

Fifth year Senior Spencer Moon has been a standout on the men’s side, winning both of the meets Simpson has competed in so far. While the women’s team hasn’t had a first place finisher yet, Senior Lara Kallem has placed in the top five at both meets.

Coach Moenck underlined the squad’s chemistry, adding, “I’m excited where we are and I’m excited where this team is going.” They have held one of the top spots in the region for the first time since 1991. Both teams will be looking to continue their success against opponents in Waverly at the upcoming Wartburg meet.