Freshman Jenna Joeseph leads team

Caleb Geer

Freshman Jenna Joseph leads the women’s wrestling team as they move through the season.

by Kendra Campbell, Staff Reporter

Jenna Joseph’s goal was not always to wrestle in college; she had only been wrestling for eight years. She grew up in Longmont, Colorado, and is a first-year majoring in biochemistry.

In her sophomore year of high school she started thinking about wrestling at the collegiate level. She found Simpson thanks to her coach recruiting her to join Simpson’s women’s wrestling.

“The preseason prepared me for the start of the season,” Joseph said. “As well as our first two tournaments going well.”

Joseph has been wrestling in the 170-lbs. division rather than her expected weight class of 155. However, she has excelled in the first few matches in the weight class of 170. Joseph did wrestle in the 155-lbs. division at the Lindenwood Duals on November 20th.

At Simpson’s annual Luther Hill invitational, Joseph started strong by placing third while leading the women’s wrestling team. She went 4-1 at the invitational in the 170 weight class. Joseph won the first program history win with a pin against William Penn’s Kaylah Johnson.

Next was the Waldorf open, where Joseph picked up three more wins, with her best match being against Missouri Valley’s Elise Falcett.

“It would be awesome to win our first-ever home dual here at Simpson College. The dual is against Iowa Wesleyan and I am excited to cheer on my teammates,” Joseph said.

In the most recent competition, the Lindenwood Duals, women’s wrestling went five of six in duals. Joseph had a few pins over her opponent from Fontbonne and Eureka. She had 11-0 technical falls in the Ozark and Quincy duals.

“My overall goal for the season is to make it to nationals and become an All-American. As well as have fun while getting to know college wrestling because it is a whole new environment,” Joseph said.

She said that the team would love to win a national title, but the goal could be more realistic for the young program. However, Joseph thinks that in the future, the goal is obtainable.

“A lot of us hang out with each other outside of practice. I would love to do more team bonding style activities, but I think the time we are hanging out recently has helped a lot,” Joseph said. 

She said the team’s chemistry is excellent and one of the best things about them. 

“Honestly, it’s hard to pick out my favorite part of the team and the whole experience. I like it a lot,” Joseph said. “The support the team is getting from the school, coaches and men’s team is amazing. I don’t think the team and the program would be where we are right now without the community’s support in general.”