All Inclusivity Exhibition

Submitted to the Simpsonian

Through Nostrala’s idea and awarded grants the exhibition was made possible.

by Ariel Clark, Staff Reporter

The All Inclusivity Exhibition is a collection of art from various people involved at Simpson College, including staff, board members, students and alumni. The art features messages containing inclusivity and is available for viewing Monday-Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Simpson-affiliated people are allowed to submit pieces until Feb. 15, where they will be displayed in the art gallery until the end of the month. Afterwards, the creators can take their pieces home with them. While the art isn’t forced through inspection prior, any harmful messages are not allowed in the exhibit.

A reception will be held at 5:30 in the afternoon on the last day of the month, featuring food and music for attendees. Graphic design professor Justin Nostrala, who is head of the project, has hopes of the jazz band coming down and playing for the event.

The All Inclusivity Exhibition came to fruition when Nostrala applied for a Research, Scholar, and Creativity (RSC) grant provided by Faculty Development. It began by sending out a survey to students about their thoughts on inclusivity at Simpson. The results showcased a more negative leaning view of Simpson’s inclusivity. As a result, Nostrala began brainstorming ideas on what they could do for their grant project.

While he originally thought about writing a comment on the survey’s results, he soon came up with the idea of making the exhibit. Nostrala gained the assistance of theater professor Kara Raphaeli, and together they made the creation of the exhibit their grant project. Their goal was to bring the Simpson community together by hosting days where people could work on their art pieces in the same area and brainstorm with each other, showcasing inclusivity in action.

Though some students and faculty worked in the comfort of their dorm or home, Nostrala and Raphaeli were pleased to see a large turnout for the days which were dedicated to everyone coming together and working on their pieces. Groups such as fraternities and sororities, as well as clubs also provided their own group projects. This led to a mixture of audio and visual projects on display. 

Together, the members of Simpson College were able to demonstrate inclusivity by working together to forge a large-scale art project for the community to view. And as more pieces are added, the variety of the artwork and the message they individually send are a worthwhile trip for students curious enough to visit and see what their peers have made in regards to inclusivity and, ultimately, Simpson.