Is summer housing on campus right for you?

by Ben Frotscher

Cheap housing is always hard to come by during the summer.Whether working at a job, internship or taking some classes awayfrom home, housing can be a burden.

Living on campus for the summer may be the perfect solution forstudents who are having trouble finding housing.

The sole location of summer housing on campus is the DetroitApartments.

The Detroit Apartments are completely furnished with twobedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom and living room area. Theseapartments also have some one bedroom units.

Emily Hurm, area coordinator for Buxton and Picken Halls, saidthat the Detroit Apartments are the only spot available becausethere are conferences and camps on-campus that require space forhousing.

The housing system is completely different than what is known asthe lottery.

“It’s assigned on a first-come, first serve basis,” saidHurm.

If you want to live on campus, you must complete a contract andemployment confirmation card by April 9. You can turn in anapplication after this date, but you are not guaranteedhousing.

The move-in date is set for May 16 and costs a daily rate of $6for students working 30 hours on campus and $12 for studentsworking less than 30 hours on campus. Students can stay in summerhousing until August 17.

“Some students just want to stay on campus,” said Hurm. “Theymay have internships or jobs and they are looking for cheaphousing.”

Students who are staying on campus for housing this summer orhave in the past vary on how they feel about summer housing.

“I had a bad experience with a short-term leasing apartment lastsummer,” said junior Katie Pfieffer. “The landlord wasn’tcompletely honest.”

Pfieffer said that she works in Indianola and it was a lotcheaper to live on campus this coming summer.

“It’s $360 a month for one person,” said sophomore BrookeOverturf. “I think it is kind of crazy.”

Overturf is choosing to stay on campus this summer in order tobe close and work with her basketball coaches, but she has to paythe $12 a day because she is not working 30 hours a week oncampus.

Sophomore Shikha Basnet said that the overall experience withsummer housing was good. Basnet said that it was nice to have phoneand internet access already paid for, but she had one negativeabout the experience.

“The apartment needed a lot of maintenance,” said Basnet.

While the living situations are comfortable, price for summerhousing on campus seems to be a hot topic.

Pfieffer agreed with Overturf that the price gap for collegehousing and work is a little extreme.

“I do feel that it shouldn’t be as big as a gap for people whowork on and off campus.”