Library ‘heartbeat of campus,’ Copeland says

by Mindy Marks

Robyn Copeland knows good music. Elton John, the Doobie Brothers, Rolling Stones, Hall and Oats, Shania Twain – she’s seen them all.

“I’m a huge music fan and I’m all over the radar,” said Copeland, circulation supervisor in Dunn Library. “I’m privy to modern music because of my 19-year-old daughter Justine, but I also love inspirational music.”

Kirk Franklin’s gospel CD is currently on her playlist.

In addition to her love of music, Copeland spends the greater part of her free time studying and researching. As a non-traditional student Copeland is only five classes away from her Corporate Communications degree.

“My daughter’s a traditional student [at Central College] and I’m a nontraditional student so we have a lot to learn from each other,” Copeland said. “I would like to utilize my Corporate Communications degree.”

After obtaining her degree, Copeland hopes to go back into the corporate world. Ideally, she would love to be a public relations director for a winery, as viticulture is an interest of hers. But, for now, she’s happy at Simpson

“This is the hardest job I’ve ever had because of the daily unknown variables, but the most fun,” Copeland said.

As circulation supervisor, Copeland oversees the work of 35 Simpson students and tries to keep them motivated.

“I try to keep my sense of humor when people make requests that are unrealistic,” Copeland said. “The library is the heartbeat of campus.”

Fun Facts

She’d like to learn: to fly a plane and play the flute

Three words to live by: Live, Laugh and Love

She’s a sucker for: Patriotism

She’s lived in four major cities: Detroit, Philadelphia, Denver and Houston