Simpson, EAC Need to Work Together

by Simpsonian Staff

After a few weeks in a row of hearing about Styrofoam and its harmful effects, the Simpsonian Editorial Staff would like to point out the benefits and challenges to EAC bringing this issue to light.

First off, Styrofoam is harmful. EAC has recently provided the college as well as The Simpsonian with interesting facts, figures and details about the pollution and harm it does to the environment. Solutions are available for the college in terms of getting rid of the Styrofoam and using something else that would be environmentally friendly.

Secondly, members of EAC are regularly collecting data and doing research in terms of finding what Simpson’s sustainability is and how it can be increased. There is no doubt that hard work, dedication and passion go into every issue and concern it raises.

Simpson has come a long way thanks to the hard work of EAC.

However – that’s right, what kind of Our View would this be without a “however” – let’s do one thing at a time.

Simpson has already taken numerous strides since many of us have come on campus at the beginning of our higher education endeavors. We’ve seen the removal of unnecessary trays in Pfieffer Dining Hall, the placement of hundreds of recycle bins in dorms and classrooms, and signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) to take steps for Simpson to be more sustainable.

EAC’s initiative against Styrofoam is an important one, and we have no doubt that Simpson will be responsive in its efforts. We’d like students to remember, though, all the things that the college has done and to be supportive while Simpson plans to take steps forward in meeting the needs of students – students who are involved in EAC and students that are not.