Shortage of May Term Courses Common This Time of Year

by Katie Anthony

As the fall semester begins to come to an end with spring in sight, many students are beginning to wonder what’s in store for May term.

There has been some speculation as to how many on-campus courses are going to be available, and the concern has been that the number of on-campus courses is low.

Chair and Professor of Mathematics Murphy Waggoner says that is not an issue with May term classes, but rather this is the way courses get planned.

“If after the schedules for any semester are submitted, and the faculty and administration recognize a need for more of a specific type of course, there is always a call for more of that type of course,” Waggoner said. “This happens all the time, but this is probably one of the few times the students have been aware of that. It is not a problem that is being solved, but simply the normal way of developing the offerings.”

While this is normal for faculty, students still have their concerns.

“As a senior, I am not too worried about what the shortage will do for me,” Ramsey said. “However, I’m worried about what this will mean for other students.”

Waggoner, on the other hand, isn’t concerned about May term courses; she believes that there will be plenty.

“When I sent the e-mail out about EPCC accepting more applications for May term, there was a lot of excitement among the faculty,” Waggoner said.

Even though Waggoner is not concerned about May term, junior Trisha Schroeder still has her reservations.

“I just hope there are on-campus courses that are relevant to me and are actually useful,” Schroeder said. “I don’t want to sit through a three hour class that has absolutely nothing to do with my major or my life.”

Waggoner remains optimistic, regardless.

“There is no reason to worry,” Waggoner said. “The faculty and the administration will make sure there are enough seats for all students in May term; that is part of my job. I also think the courses being offered are both interesting and diverse.”

The Educational Policy and Curriculum Committee (EPCC) will consider the final May term courses on Nov. 9. At the faculty meeting on Nov. 16, faculty will vote on the courses and the list will be available to students.