How to stay on track this semester

by Katelyn Chamberlin

A new semester has just started, and we all have mixed feelings about it. While it’s nice to be at school with friends and activities we enjoy, that also comes with a price. Daily homework, long papers and huge tests are a sure way to add unneeded stress back into our lives. The minute you get behind, the semester is guaranteed to give you more trouble than you want. However, if you stay on top of things, this semester can be a breeze (or at least a gentle wind). Here are a few tips that can help you succeed.

Set Goals

It may sound unnecessary, but physically writing down that you want an A or a B in each class will help keep you motivated. Don’t be afraid to get specific. Having a goal to not to get below a certain percentage on any test will help keep you on track throughout the semester.

Be Early

Contrary to popular belief, it is not nerdy to be early to class. You’re paying a couple thousand dollars for each course, and you owe it to yourself to be there for every second. Being early ensures that you will get the best spot – which is not necessarily in the back of the room or next to your friends.

Do What’s Best for You

Not every student can get away with sitting in the back row of the classroom. It’s actually proven that students learn better when they’re closer to the professor. This may mean you won’t end up sitting by your friends, but it might just make the difference between a good grade and a great grade.

Leave the Phone Behind

Before heading to class next time, ask yourself “do I really need my cell phone for the next 50 minutes?” Chances are the answer will be no. If there is some reason you can’t be away from your phone for an hour, you are in for a rude awakening after college. Having it in class with you is a huge distraction that may keep you from taking good notes or listening to the professor. If you really don’t think you can handle leaving it behind, give yourself a new perspective and consider what’s more important to you – getting the most of the money you’re spending on school or the phone bill.

Be Organized

This is not a new idea guys, but it is an effective one. Writing down your assignments and their due dates will give you an instant reminder of everything you need to do for the week. The bonus? Your free time will be more relaxing when you don’t have to worry about forgetting something important.

Study

Kind of obvious, I know. But it’s a fact of life and we have to accept it now or it will be too late. Studying is a mandatory part of the college experience and is just as important as attending the actual class. You don’t actually think you can hear the professor say something once and then remember it perfectly for the midterm, do you? If that’s the case, start working towards curing cancer because you’re too smart to be that lazy.