Campus 411

Need Super Bowl plans?

The 2011 Super Bowl is right around the corner, so what are your plans? If you have not made any arrangements, do not fret. There are plenty of options available to everyone on campus.

The men of Lambda Chi Alpha will be hosting a party at Lambda Chi Alpha House starting at 5 p.m.. The game will be watched on a big screen TV, and plenty of food will be provided. Another option available will be provided by Kappa Theta Psi. The party will begin around 4:30 p.m. and there will be plenty of free subs and snacks available. Prizes for guessing the closest score are up for grabs. Kappa Theta Psi is the black and white house north of the baseball field parking lot.

The Alpha Tau Omega (ATO) house will also be hosting a party for anyone to attend.

“Our Super Bowl party is going to start at 5 p.m. and people can stay as long as they want,” junior and ATO president Mitchell Pitlick said. “We’re going to have a root beer keg, chips/dip and other food.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) will also be having a Super Bowl party beginning at 4:30 p.m.. The men of SAE will have their doors open to everyone and are inviting everyone to come down for the party.

Students encouraged to attend Carver Medal Ceremony

All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend to George Washington Carver Medal Ceremony on Tuesday, Feb. 8 to honor Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole. According to an e-mail sent out on behalf of Steve Griffith, senior vice president and dean for academic affairs, Cole is “one of the most well-regarded African American women in the U.S.”

Cole’s accomplishments include being the first female African American president of Spellman College, first woman ever elected to the Board of Coca-Cola Enterprises and the first African American woman to serve as Chair of the Board of United Way of America, among others, according to the e-mail.

Cole is an author, scholar and activist for social and economic justice, and she currently is the Executive Director of the Smithsonian Institute National Museum of African Art.

The event will be held in Smith Memorial Chapel at 7 p.m..