Students don Goodwill garments

Students don Goodwill garments

by Kelsey Hagelberg

Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) will be holding its annual Goodwill Fashion show in a new venue this year – Great Hall. Donating a piece of clothing covers admission costs.

“Admission into the show is one article of clothing that you are willing to donate for the cause, and we normally have a very successful turnout,” freshman Jessica Gurney said.

Prior to the show, a few members of the group PRSSA, spend time picking out particular items of clothing the models will wear down the runway.

“Rachel Smith, Ian Zimmerman and myself, picked out all of the clothing for the show this year,” Gurney said.

The event involves students modeling certain clothes from the racks and walls of Goodwill, which increases their knowledge about the local store.

“The Indianola Goodwill often goes unnoticed by a lot of the students unless they are looking for a goofy outfit for a party, so this is a great way to give back to them,” junior Megan Dunlavy said.

A positive aspect to this show appearing on campus is that it teaches students to be responsible with their money locally.

“You don’t always have to spend big bucks on a dress or a new top,” junior Becca Bean said.

During the show, 30 Simpson students dress in their pre-assigned outfits and model these clothes down a runway with their own spunk.

“I love doing anything that allows me to strut my stuff,” senior Tiffany Flory said.

Based on positive experiences they have had in the past, many of the models are returning for round two.

“I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about the show, and I just love being able to be a part of it,” Dunlavy said.

Bean is really excited for the opportunity to knock them dead.

“I want to see all the clothes they could find and turn into head turning outfits,” Bean said.

Students who come not only benefit from cleaning out their wardrobe, but they are also provided with an opportunity to have some fun and relax.

“I’m sure it will be funny to see some people model who have never done something like this before so it should be a good time,” Flory said.

In previous years, the Goodwill fashion show has been held in the Brenton Student Center.

“This is the first year that the event will be taking place in the Great Hall, so it is the beginning of a new tradition with the fashion show,” Gurney said.

With the extra space, PRSSA is hoping for the biggest turnout yet for the show.

Since the show is held during the week of final exams, many students will be in need of a study break; the fashion show does just that.

“Students should go because it’s a way to get their minds off stressful things in their lives, and it’s just plain fun,” senior Hank Muzney said.