A second semester of sports loaded with promise, excitement and Tweeting

by Aaron Young

Welcome back (or to, for some) Simpson College! With Week No. 2 of the spring semester already taking its toll on us, I just wanted to fill you in on what you can expect in every issue of The Simpsonian and everyday on TheSimpsonian.com. 

We’re here to give you all the updates, scores, recaps, previews, features, profiles, you name it, on all Simpson College sports teams. Whether it’s basketball, track and field, or rugby to name a few, we’re going to keep you in the loop. We also want you to be aware of where your primary source of content will be coming from, in all 140 characters or less…

Twitter. 

Last fall, I created an account where students can quickly see what’s happening live at games and what we’re posting online or publishing in the newspaper. You’re probably saying, “Yeah, that’s what @StormSports is.” Not quite. We’re all students – what we’re really supposed to say after the first day of class is “reporters” – doing this, but at the end of the day, when I take off my press badge, put away my reporting equipment and sit at my desk to read 90-plus pages of a book I don’t understand (and no offense to those who assign mass amounts of pages to read), I’m still a student, and just like those I cover, a student-athlete. 

@SimpAthletics is a Twitter feed by the students not just for the students, but for the entire Simpson community. As our student media adviser Mark Siebert would say, “We’re doing homework each week for about 1500 people or more.” Right now, as I’m typing this sentence at 2:59 p.m. on Jan. 21, @SimpAthletics has 342 followers. That’s a good number, but what I’m hoping is that after you read this next sentence, you search for @SimpAthletics on your phones, your tablets or your computers, and you click that “Follow” button.

The Simpsonian sports staff love having you read what we write and we love hearing what you have to say, whether you agree or disagree. But most importantly, we appreciate knowing you come to our website, our social media pages and our newspaper for sports coverage and engagement. 

And with how action-packed the winter sports season has become and continues to be, I can guarantee a successful semester of coverage from the sports staff all the way to the final day of May Term. 

Enjoy your season, student-athletes, and support your Storm, Simpson College.