Dean Thorius to step down from Vice President role in May

by Kate Hayden

After thirty years at Simpson College, Dean Jim Thorius will retire his current title as Vice President for Student Development and Strategic Planning, effective May 31 this year. President Jay Simmons announced the news in a campus-wide email addressed to the Simpson College community. Dean Thorius, who is also Dean of Students, assumed responsibilities in 1984 and has been involved over the years on several major campus projects, including the addition of campus and Greek housing, the addition and expansion of services like Student Support Services, Counseling Services and student engagement initiatives, and the planning and construction of Kent Campus Center.

President Simmons clarified that Dean Thorius will continue to be an active contributor to campus starting Sept. 1, working part-time on Simpson’s international student recruitment.

“This assignment stems naturally from the work Dean Thorius has pursued over the last few years with the Diversity Steering Committee as this group has worked to identify opportunities to increase the number of international students on campus,” President Simmons wrote.

Jim Hayes, current associate dean and director of CVIL, will step in temporarily to Dean Thorius’s Vice President role while the college restructures the Dean of Students position.

“This arrangement will permit the College to conduct a search in the Fall 2014 for a permanent successor to Dean Thorius,” President Simmons wrote.

The Simpson community can expect an invitation later this spring to a celebration of Dean Thorius’s service, President Simmons wrote.