Simpson transformation: a look into a first year experience

by Tyler Stokesbary

My freshman experience started out being frightful and terrifying, as I am sure many of yours started out as well.

I was thrown into a new community for the first time, and that was terrifying. I wondered if I would fit in or if I would make any new friends. I had so many
questions and fears that I found myself wondering if I had made the right choice.

Then I realized that in order to fit in and have the best college experience possible, I had to make the effort to fit in.

I did not think I would get elected to SGA at the beginning of the year, but I went for it anyway and got elected. I got involved in what I was passionate about because I needed to find that community at Simpson that I could fit in. I knew that college was going to be a new start for me, and I had the opportunity to make the best of it. There was no way of me knowing what lay before me.

I never thought I would be walking around campus always having to watch my back in case a zombie came out of the bushes and had me for an afternoon snack. Never did I imagine that I would awkwardly sprint across the football field in three-inch heels. I never thought that I would make countless friends so that wherever I walk I can always find a friendly smile or a nice hello. You can bet I never thought I would use my high school FFA parliamentary procedure skills to become Senate Parliamentarian. I never thought I would get to shake Vice President Biden’s hand because of being involved in Simpson Democrats, let
alone be elected as Vice President of Simpson Democrats. I never thought I would get to travel all the way to St. Louis to represent Italy at a Model UN conference and play tic-tac-toe with the delegates from Iran. I never thought I would actually get to play games in my history classes and for some reason always be cast as the traitorous role. I never knew how resourceful I could be under a poor college student’s budget.

If you would have told me that I would be in a fraternity, I would have laughed in your face, but now I find myself with an unbreakable bond of brothers that I call family.

All of these things I would have never imagined possible during my first couple days at Simpson. With all of this in just my first year at Simpson, I cannot imagine what else is in store for me. Just like at the beginning of the year, I still do not know what lies before me, but I am going to make the very best of it.

If I could go back and tell myself one thing at the
beginning of the year, I would tell myself to do what you love, and you will never believe what you will accomplish.