Students save lives at PRSSA annual blood drive

by Ashley Smith, layout editor

Simpson College students helped save the lives of 232 hospital patients through PRSSA’s blood drive on Feb. 2.

PRSSA has been collaborating with LiveServe Blood Center since 2009 to put on their annual February blood drive. This year, 36 students gave blood.

Junior Victoria Halloran is passionate about the blood drive and was put in charge of coordinating it this year.

“It’s such a simple thing to do and it really does make a difference for cancer patients, for people who just need blood transfusions and our bodies are such weird, crazy things that you can take blood out and it just replaces it,” Halloran said.

Junior Maureen Snook, a first-time donor, admitted she was scared to donate at first but that it wasn’t as bad as she thought it would be.

“I was terrified walking in today, and it seriously wasn’t that bad. So the internal hype that so often happens is a lot worse than anything that actually happens there. Everyone’s super nice,” Snook said.

Snook said she knows people whose lives were saved by blood transfusions, including a nurse at the blood drive.

“I was talking about how I was nervous and she was like ‘that’s totally fine and understandable but we really appreciate you being here,’” Snook said.

Junior Marissa Belau who has donated blood many times before admits the discomfort she feels when donating is worth it.

“For me it was an experience that, even if it hurts a little bit or if I’m a little bit scared, it’s helping people in the long run. So it’s worth my couple minutes of pain or discomfort for them to live another day,” Belau said.

According to LifeServe Blood Center, 90% of people will need a blood transfusion by the time they’re 70 but only 5% of eligible donors donate on a regular basis. Blood shortages may occur if this continues.

In the span of a half an hour, a donor is able to save up to three lives. When’s the last time you’ve been able to say you saved three lives in one day?

Belau urges everyone to give blood.

“If you haven’t tried it, there’s really nothing that should hold you back,” Belau said.

Delta Delta Delta will be holding their spring blood drive through LifeServe on March 31 in Pfeiffer Dining Hall.