Geer, signing off
Geer, signing off
by Caleb Geer, Ad Manager/Web Editor • April 27, 2024

I didn’t know what the hell I wanted to do with my life when I showed up on campus in the middle of the pandemic almost four years ago. I knew...

Looking back at my time at Simpson
Looking back at my time at Simpson

It all started with soup. No, really, let me explain. I was so passionate about the soup in SubConnection as a first year that it caught the...

So long, farewell, I’ve got no more stories to tell
by Jenna Prather, Editor-in-chief • April 27, 2024

Unlike my fellow student media seniors who’ve written this before me, I came into Simpson knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I did independent...

Welcome to Simpson, Jessica Stormoen

+++Stormoen+was+hired+to+meet+with+Greek+house+presidents%2C+community+advisors+and+regular+members+to+formulate+plans+for+the+best+practices+within+the+area%2C+including+recruitment+and+advertisement.%0A
Courtesy Simpson College website
Stormoen was hired to meet with Greek house presidents, community advisors and regular members to formulate plans for the best practices within the area, including recruitment and advertisement.

Starting this semester, Jessica Stormoen has been hired as the fraternity and sorority life (FSL) coordinator. 

This position used to be split between two people: Ethan Brown, who covered housing and residence life, and Rich Ramos, who was in charge of advising and recruitment. 

The conversation of hiring one person to head the whole area started back when Ramos was still at Simpson. They wanted to be able to give FSL a more rounded support person who could focus entirely on Greek life instead of someone who has other responsibilities around campus. 

Now,  Brown will focus more on building relationships with the first-years and continuing those relationships into their second year on campus, as he will be taking over advising Buxton and Picken housing. 

Brown said, “the number one goal is that students are getting more out of everyone involved in residence life, and this will help greatly.”

Coming into the position, Stormoen has ideas of what projects she would like to work on. 

One project she wants to tackle is celebrating Delta Delta Delta’s rich history, which includes it being the longest-running chapter of the sorority in the United States and Canada, established in 1889.

Stormoen wants to find other facts about Simpson’s fraternity and sorority life to advertise on tours and the website.

She also wants to create a cohesive identity around Greek life. She wants the mentality of “we’re all a part of [fraternity and sorority life], not competing against each other,” to come to the forefront.

The transition since Stormoen’s arrival has been easier than previous attempts  Brown said. 

The last time someone was hired for the role, they were trying to transition them into the position during recruitment, which made the process harder. 

Stormoen is planned to be fully established by Feb. 1, 2024. 

Before coming to Simpson, Stormoen spent two and a half years at Michigan Technological University as a residential education coordinator, where she oversaw 10 RAs at a time. 

When she was in college, Stormoen had the mentality that people didn’t like her. Whether that was true or not, that was her perception. Then she joined her sorority and changed her life for the better.. She wants  people to know that, “Sorority life can help you grow, learn and change in very positive ways.” And that’s the impact she wants to make with her time at Simpson 

Being in Greek life herself while she was in college, Stormoen’s life changed for the better.