Geer, signing off
Geer, signing off
by Caleb Geer, Ad Manager/Web Editor • April 27, 2024

I didn’t know what the hell I wanted to do with my life when I showed up on campus in the middle of the pandemic almost four years ago. I knew...

Looking back at my time at Simpson
Looking back at my time at Simpson
by Kyle Werner, Managing Editor & Social Media Manager • April 27, 2024

It all started with soup. No, really, let me explain. I was so passionate about the soup in SubConnection as a first year that it caught the...

So long, farewell, I’ve got no more stories to tell
by Jenna Prather, Editor-in-chief • April 27, 2024

Unlike my fellow student media seniors who’ve written this before me, I came into Simpson knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I did independent...

Dunn is finally DONE

Frank Novak
“People are a variety of sizes, and that’s what we tried to address in the furniture we chose. We got broader seats so that everybody could be comfortable,” she said.

The long-awaited, newly-remodeled Dunn Library has finally completed renovations, opening its doors on Monday, Jan. 8, for staff and faculty to use everything the library has to offer.

The 18-month construction results have become the talk of the campus, and departments such as TRIO and the Library Services could not be happier to be in the building and showcase what everyone has been waiting for.

Dunn has been a hotspot since opening on the first day of classes, as students and faculty have been checking out the new spaces. 

The Center of Academic Resources (CARs), Student Support Services, TRIO, and the Education Department are on the first floor. 

Before the renovation, Dunn was still home to these services, but new to the first floor is the Education Department’s curriculum lab, where students can gather teaching materials and books for their classes. 

Monica Lewis, an SSS-TRIO advisor, was excited to finally be moved into the new office during winter break. “We thoroughly love our space because when we moved to Mary Berry, we lost the space we previously had where students could hang out, and so moving back. We’re excited to have that space again and have students hang out with us and have a place to study.”

With their new space, TRIO has made a collaborative board welcoming students to their new offices and plans to make a new one each month.

The renovations to the library also added more study spaces on the first floor for students, as well as a coffee bar, which is still pending completion. 

A variety of tables and booths line the south wall, giving students more options for studying comfortably. Additionally, there is a suite of men’s and women’s restrooms and a handicap-accessible restroom for students to use.

On the second floor, the library received a new look as well. 

The second floor is occupied by Dunn Library’s book, journal, magazine and archives collections. There are varied study spaces scattered around, including single cubicles, Brody pods, a modern take on a private deck, and tables for small study groups with comfortable seating options such as regular plastic chairs and couch-type seating in some areas. 

Cyd Dyer, the college librarian and archivist, mentioned in a phone interview that comfortable and accessible study spaces were a must for the new library.

“People are a variety of sizes, and that’s what we tried to address in the furniture we chose. We got broader seats so that everybody could be comfortable,” she said. “The fun booths can be pulled down so that people that are height-challenged can reach the floor, and most chairs have wheels.”

Lastly, the third floor contains classrooms where large study groups and even classes can meet. Inside, there are whiteboard walls and pull-down power strips for charging devices. Simpson College’s Archives is also located on the third floor.

According to Dyer, a lot of what is new is in the infrastructure. The new building comes with a new roof, HVAC system, plumbing, electric, ceiling, lights, a fire suppression system, flooring and elevator. 

Dyer has seen many positive student reactions to the new area: “It’s really bright in the building, to the windows, the paint, the new light fixtures, so that’s been impressive to students.”

As for what is to come in the near future, Dyer says they have several events in the next month, including a two-day event on Feb. 1 in celebration of George Washington Carver Day. There will also be a display of artifacts for all to revel in and enjoy. In the middle of February, there will be an official ribbon cutting for the newly renovated building.