Photo from the Des Moines Register
Former Simpson professor sentenced to 10 years
by Kenzie Van Haaften, Editor-in-chief • April 26, 2024

Gowun Park, a former assistant professor of economics at Simpson who faced kidnapping and murder charges back in 2020, pled guilty on Thursday,...

Auditing changes lead to missing funds and mass confusion
by Ryan Magalhães, Feature Editor • April 26, 2024

Several faculty advisors realized last week that their organization’s accounts did not have the funds that they expected. This left some organizations...

Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Review: "The Tortured Poets Department"

Well, hello there, fellow tortured poets. I’m glad you’re here. At least “here” on The Simpsonian website. This is my final review of...

Reflection: Has it already been a year?

Photo by Sophie Reese
Simpson Student Media wins the homecoming trophy.

A lot has changed in my life the last year. I graduated college, started my first job and now it’s crazy to think of myself as a “true” adult. Just one year ago, I was putting the finishing touches on an incredible time at Simpson through helping with SCTV, being an SC Leader and playing tennis among other activities. However, the best memories I had of the 2022-23 school year all happened in the span of one week: Homecoming.

It was a time of chaos, stress and a lot of work, but above all else, it was truly a blast. I led our incredible student media team to Homecoming victory. It was a title that to my knowledge had always been claimed by an athletic or Greek-life-based organization since its origin – until us. 

We had all of the right tools to make a true run at winning the 90s-themed contest. From spray paint masters to Rubik’s cube geniuses and above all else, people willing to make fools of themselves at the infamous “Yell Like Hell.” Our well-rounded nature was what worked well for us. Great journalists come from all walks of life at Simpson, and the Homecoming week festivities served as a great reminder of what we could accomplish when we combined our talents. As I now look back at it, it was pretty awesome.

I remember discussing the strategy of who we would have do each event based on their talents, and it was a great chance to learn more about each other. 

Above all else, I wouldn’t trade those cherished times with my closest friends for anything. All of the late nights and crazy schedules were more than worth it.  If I were to do it again I would actually tell myself to not take it so seriously. After all, it’s just meant to be fun.

For all you seniors, this is the beginning of the end. It’s going to be a special year filled with lots of twists and turns. However, I promise you everything is going to be okay. Whatever your plans after college may be, you’ll be set up very well just by being a Simpson graduate. For now, just soak up all the memories and leave it all out there. You won’t be able to again. 

Have a great Homecoming week, and #Roll Storm!