Geer, signing off
Geer, signing off
by Caleb Geer, Ad Manager/Web Editor • April 27, 2024

I didn’t know what the hell I wanted to do with my life when I showed up on campus in the middle of the pandemic almost four years ago. I knew...

Looking back at my time at Simpson
Looking back at my time at Simpson

It all started with soup. No, really, let me explain. I was so passionate about the soup in SubConnection as a first year that it caught the...

So long, farewell, I’ve got no more stories to tell
by Jenna Prather, Editor-in-chief • April 27, 2024

Unlike my fellow student media seniors who’ve written this before me, I came into Simpson knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I did independent...

Simpson announces new scholarship programs

Courtest Simpson College

Simpson College is embarking on a new path for financial aid. 

In a new release this morning, President Jay Byers and Vice President of Enrollment Leigh Mlodzik announced two new programs the school will be rolling out for the 2024-2025 academic year. 

“Our commitment to ensuring affordable access to Simpson excellence continues to grow,” said President Byers. “Today, that commitment is reaching historic heights. And it all starts in our home state.” 

Simpson is introducing the $100K Promise, a new initiative that commits full tuition for admitted students whose family income is $100,000 or less. Previously, the Simpson Promise was in place, giving students whose families made  $60,000 or less as the limit for aid. This change includes a 67% increase over the Simpson Promise. 

First-years and transfer students starting in the 2024-2025 academic year will be eligible for this scholarship.

“We wanted to open the Simpson dream to a much larger number of students from a wider range of economic circumstances.”

In addition to the $100K Promise, Simpson is launching the 99 County Full-Tuition program, ensuring at least one student from Iowa’s 99 counties will receive a full-ride scholarship. 

“Together, these full-tuition scholarship programs are going to open more doors to educational dreams than ever before. They’re game-changers.” 

These two scholarship programs aim to get more students to benefit from an exceptional Simpson experience, said Mlodzik. 

“In talking with alumni and trustees of the college, so many stories start with ‘I came from a small Iowa town, and Simpson helped me get to where I am today,’” the president said. “The 99-county full-tuition program embraces this story and continues the legacy of Simpson serving and being accessible to all Iowans.”

Both programs include federal and state aid alongside the Simpson scholarship to cover a student’s first year with full tuition.

“I couldn’t be more excited for today’s announcement,” said Byers in a separate interview. “We have this tremendous momentum on campus, and these two new initiatives, together, are going to give us some new tools for us to be even more successful in our efforts moving forward.”