Student vaccination rate nears 80% goal; COVID cases decline

by Amelia Schafer, Editor-in-Chief

For the third week in a row, the vaccination rate amongst students has continued to increase while the rate of COVID-19 cases continues to dwindle.

Campus COVID cases dwindle 

Two members of the Simpson College community have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last week, according to the Simpson College COVID-19 dashboard. 

There are currently three active cases – which include students, faculty and staff. 

The campus positivity rate is identified as 1% – the same as last week. A total of 13 campus community members have tested positive since Aug. 23. Currently, there are three students in quarantine either on or off-campus. 

The COVID-19 dashboard, which was previously updated daily, is now updated once per week on Thursday mornings. 

The dashboard is only accessible to members of the Simpson College community through SCconnect. 

Vaccinations slowly rise

As of Sept. 16, 72% of the on-campus student body and 85% of faculty and staff have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 – a 4% increase among students from last week, when 68% were reported as being fully vaccinated. Within the West Des Moines campus, 47% of students have been fully vaccinated, a 7% increase from last week. 

County wide cases double 

Warren county has experienced a substantial increase in COVID-19 cases, with 237 cases reported in the past week by The New York Times. According to the CDC, there are currently 418 cases – meaning that it maintains an area with high community spread – sitting at a 14.38% positivity rate, according to the CDC. 60.8% of the eligible county population is vaccinated.