Staff spotlight: Keyah Levy

Simpson College Marketing Department

Keyah Levy is Simpson College’s first VP of DEI.

by Abby Ludwig, Staff Reporter

Keyah Levy is the new Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Title IX Coordinator – a new position at Simpson College. 

Q: What is your official title at Simpson?

A: Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Title IX Coordinator.

Q: Why did you decide to work at Simpson?

A: While the location and size of the institution were extremely attractive, the ultimate reason I decided to work at Simpson is that I felt an urgency for change and a sense of family. This position being on a cabinet level really speaks to the need and commitment to create transformational change.

Q: What is your mission for Simpson/how do you want to make a difference on campus?

A: My mission is to ensure that the work of diversity, equity and inclusion becomes a part of the Simpson fabric. From students to staff and faculty, we all should not only do the work but live the work. I want to make a difference by showing each student, especially those who hold minority/marginalized identities, that I care. They are welcomed here, and the Simpson family wants them to be successful here and beyond.

Q: Where are you from?

A: I was born and raised in Waterloo, Iowa.

Q: What is your educational background?

A: I hold a bachelor’s degree in Health Science from the University of Iowa, a master’s degree in Health Education with a certificate in Global Health and Health Disparities from the University of Northern Iowa and I am currently in my second year of a three-year doctoral program in Student Affairs Administration and Leadership at the University of Wisconsin La-Crosse.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A:  Between work and school, I barely have free time; however, I love to travel, cook, work out and I can be really crafty when I have the time.

Q: What is a belief or value that is important to you?

A: Great question; I think giving grace, having compassion, gratitude and being authentic are a few of the values I hold highly. In addition to integrity, I hold being honest and being trustworthy highly. We must recognize what has shaped our lives. We also must understand that different things and situations have shaped the lives of others, and that produces different outcomes. We must approach our work and lives with compassion because of this.