Seier ‘exemplifies’ qualities of head trainer

by Megan Stout

Greg Seier is still settling in after being hired as the newest head athletic trainer.

“I look forward to getting to know the students and athletes here, and I am also excited about contributing to the strong athletic program here at Simpson,” said Seier.

Seier fills the position vacated by former head Leslie Huntington and interim head Ryan Jensen.

Mike Hadden, also a head athletic trainer, had certain qualities in mind that the new trainer would have to possess.

“Going into the selection process we had specific requirements we felt the candidate must meet,” said Hadden.

“First of all, the person would have to be very approachable-not only to the student athletes, but to the student athletic trainers as well. In addition, they must also come to us from an accredited athletic training program. Greg exemplifies those qualities, and he was the best person for the job.”

Seier attended high school in Albion, Neb. and did his undergraduate work at Doane College in Crete, Neb. He then completed his graduate training at the University of Toledo in Ohio. Before coming to Simpson, Seier worked as a trainer at Iowa Central Community College for one year.

Seier’s duties as a head athletic trainer at Simpson includes the supervision of student athletic trainers and he is in charge of strength and conditioning for baseball and men’s basketball. He will also rotate training responsibilities for various other sports. Additionally, Seier teaches kinesiology and therapeutic modalities.

Student athletic trainers Jen Dooley and Katie Espenmiller look forward to working with Seier. “He seems to be a very nice, approachable guy and I look forward to working with him in the future,” said Dooley.

“It will be fun to start working with Greg and to get to know him a little better,” said Espenmiller.

Student-athletes are also positive about the new addition to the training staff.

“The Simpson athletic trainers have always been great,” said sophomore basketball and softball player Jessica Fagen. “I’m sure that Seier will continue the excellent athletic training standards already established here at Simpson.”