Simpson adresses national sexual health issues

by Jolene Richeson

What better gift to give on Valentine’s Day then the gift of a healthy life? This is part of why February 14 marks the beginning of the 25th Annual National Condom Week.

The purpose of National Condom Week is to ensure the awareness and prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Simpson plans not to let this week go unnoticed. To make students aware of their options, Michelle Cross, college nurse, will have a table set up in Brenton Student Center during NCAW.

“Simpson is not promoting sex, but if it is your choice to have sex, we want you to have access to all the information on how to be safe,” said Cross. “Awareness week is an opportunity for us to educate students about the risks and dangers of unsafe sex.”

Cross said that condoms and informational material will be made available for students in BSC next week. There will be pamphlets about HIV/AIDS and other STDs and also ones promoting abstinence, including “101 Ways to Say No to Sex”.

After National Condom Awareness week, students are urged to contact Cross if they have any questions, comments or concerns. There are always free condoms available outside of Cross’ office in BSC, and for more information about different methods available, you can also contact her.

Safe sex can help prevent the spreading of STDs and unplanned pregnancies.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, half of the most commonly reported infectious diseases in the United States are STD’s.

Chlamydia, gonorrhea, AIDS, syphilis and hepatitis B remain a significant problem in the world, and the Midwest is not exempt from these problems.

Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Detroit ranked among the top 20 cities for gonorrhea and syphilis in 1999. The CDC is working with local and state health care providers to increase awareness and access to healthcare.