Drug sting on campus

A former Simpson student was arrested last week following an alleged marijuana sale at the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house.

Andrew K. Tishim, 20, has been charged with posession of marijuana with intent to deliver and delivery of marijuana, according to the Warren County Attorney’s Office. Authorities said Tishim could face stiffer criminal penalties because the alleged drug sale took place on the Simpson campus.

Tishim was arrested on March 25 at 7:15 p.m. as he was leaving the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house, according to Indianola police records. Police said the arrest followed a purchase that was made inside the fraternity house using a “cooperating individual.”

Indianola police said they provided the cooperating individual with a $20 bill and a tape recorder in a briefing prior to the buy.

According to the Simpson College Registrar’s office, Tishim was a second-semester sophomore at Simpson prior to his withdrawl as a student in the fall of 2001.

If convicted, Tishim could face a maximum of five years in prison, a $7,500 fine, and a 180-day driver’s license revokation. The delivery-of-marijuana charge carries a maximum of one year in jail and a $1,500 fine.

A jury finding that the sale took place on campus could add five years’ jail time to any conviction.

According to Simpson College’s security log, three individuals were detained for marijuana use in the fraternity parking lot at 1:45 a.m. on the same Monday, March 25.

The log states that one of the three students was arrested but that all charges were dropped the following day.

Indianola Police Chief Steve Bonnett would not comment on whether the two incidents were related.

According to the Simpson College Student Handbook, “Possession and or use of illegal drugs are not permitted on the Simpson campus…violations of this rule will be considered of sufficient seriousness to warrant dismissal from the college.”