Weight Watchers gain success while losing unwanted pounds

by Christy Smith

Losing weight does not come easily for many Americans, but some students and faculty have turned to the Weight Watchers program to aid their efforts.

The support group, which meets every Thursday at 12:15 p.m., gathers to help the people of the Simpson community reach their goal weight. The program lasts 10 weeks. The cost is $109.50.

“Weight Watchers is a healthy way to lose weight. The program changes the way people live and eat,” said Sal Meyers, assistant professor of psychology and the at-work meeting leader.

Weight Watchers started up on Simpson’s campus because of an alum and Meyers’ wanting to be a leader for the support group.

“There were some faculty members who went to a Lunch and Learn meeting last September, where they heard Simpson graduate Staci Osmond, speak about her weight-loss success,” Meyers said. “She had lost over 130-pounds through the Weight Watchers program. She is still losing weight. Her story inspired members of Simpson to get involved in the program.”

According to Meyers, when Weight Watchers began on Simpson’s campus last fall, there were 30 participants, which included Simpson faculty and staff.

The second 10-week program had roughly the same number of participants, according to Meyers.

“At first we only advertised to faculty and staff, but we don’t forbid students. We just have not advertised to them,” Meyers said.

The current 10-week program, which comes to an end two weeks after school ends, currently has 30 participants, including seven students.

The way the Weight Watchers program works, according to Meyers, is everyone has their beginning weight, which determines the amount of points a person can have in one given day.

“The current program is the point system. The old program was food selection out of the food groups,” Meyers said.

“Every food item has a set point value, and the number of pounds a person weighs determines how many points you can eat in a day. People are surprised about how much they are eating. They thought they would starve themselves.”

During the weekly meetings topics are discussed about food thoughts and different ways to cope with eating while stressed.

The first thing done at every meeting is stepping on the scale, according to Meyers.

“The topics we discuss vary every week. We are trying to get people to change the way they live and eat,” Meyers said.

Meyers herself has a story to tell.

“Since joining Weight Watchers I have lost 50 pounds. I have also reached my goal two times. This program has taught me the correct way to eat for the rest of my life,” she said.

Meyers also enjoys being the leader of this group for many reasons.

“Leading monitors what I am doing, and it keeps me honest.” Meyers said. “Being the leader forces me to face the scale. I believe in the program, and as long as you follow the program you will be very successful.”

Simpson’s Weight Watchers group is still welcoming new participants. If interested, contact Sal Meyers x1743. Also, according to Meyers, depending on interest from the community there is a possibility of having a 10-week program this summer.