The Friday Line

by The Simpsonian

Cowles Fellows Named

Seven freshmen at Simpson have been named Cowles Fellows for 2002-2003, an honor that wins them scholarship and travel support at the college.

The winners this year are Elizabeth Daly of Belle Plaine; Kathryn Fenneman of Clarksville; Tiffany Gunderson of Granger; Lindsay Saunders of Batavia, Ill.; Jasmynne Sloan of Chariton; Cassandra Smith of Ogden; and Gabriel Wells of Corydon.

Cowles Fellows are considered the top academic members of each entering freshman class. They are selected annually from the pool of Presidential Scholars at Simpson.

Tracie Pavon, director of financial aid at Simpson, said Cowles Fellows typically have ACT composite scores of at least 30 and are frequently valedictorians and salutatorians of their high school classes.

First winners of Shea award

Two international students have been named the first winners of the Gordon Shea award at Simpson college.

This year’s recipients are Ndoda “Vista” Kalipa of South Africa and Inanc Karacaylek of Turkey. Both will recieve endowed scholarship support to help them pay for tuition and books.

The award is named for the college’s former chaplain, who died while leading a May Term trip to Africa in 2001. First preference goes to students from Africa, followed by students from Third World Nations.

Panel Discussion on 9/11 to be held

On Wednesday, Sept. 17, Simpson will hold a panel discussion titled “9/11, A Year Later” in Lekberg Hall at 7 p.m.

Simpson College faculty will lead a discussion on how the terrorist attacks have impacted the United States and the world.

The event is free and open to the public.

Simpson College will be holding four events in rememberance of the first anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

On Wednesday, Sept. 11, four bells will ring at different times to remember those who lost their lives.

At 12:30 p.m, the chapel will hold a “Service of Hope and Rememberance” gathering, with 12 white doves being released at the end of the ceremony.

Campus worship, on the same night, at 9:00 p.m. will address the issues of 9/11 through a Christian perspective.

Throughout the week of Sept. 10-13, a special wall be will placed around campus for students, faculty and staff to express their own thoughts and reflections. Writings and drawings are encouraged.