Freshmen say good-bye to high school glory days

by Kate Anderson

High school-for sentimental seniors it seems like a past life.

A then-persisting time in existence which now seems like a memorable blink of growing up.

The peak-and-valley transition that brought us from the stress-free, hormone-ridden times of junior high, when we thought we knew it all, to the beautiful stage of life called “college,” where we finally do know it all.

High school-for the freshmen was only months ago. Those wise graduates who didn’t blow their fortune on last-blast summer partying with parting friends are still spending graduation checks.

Graduation cards are still in an unorganized pile within reach. Some guiltless freshmen may still have thank-you cards to write.

High school is still a shout you can hear. For us sentimental senior citizens on campus, high school is more of a whisper.

Life couldn’t be sweeter for the freshmen who are preparing to take over Simpson’s campus with intensity. There is an unbreakable bond by means of AOL Instant Messenger with your high school crew and brand new college friends are always in sight (unlike mom and dad).

Your boyfriend from high school still adores you and your girlfriend is faithful. You refuse to let the romantic vibes in your hallway steer you from a relationship that graduated with you. The parents still send money with a smile, grandma can’t believe you’re gone, your younger siblings realize, after all, that the house is better with you in it…and the freshman fifteen is of no threat to you…yet.

The duality of these fantastic worlds makes your freshman year original and impossible to imitate. Take all advantage of current your position in life.

Bad News: This time in life will contain great changes, as all phases do. When life is sweet, change can be fearful: unfortunately the freshman fifteen may get you, that potential romantic interest down the hall may serve as a home wrecker, parents will start lecturing you about money and they’ll throw in gradual increasing and intensifying comments about choosing a major and finding a purpose with your gratifying lifestyle. Keeping in touch with old friends will become more difficult.

In each of these changes there is good news that I’m happy to report:

The conversations with your parents about money and goals will stop serving as a Saturday morning annoyance, as your hangover settles in. These conversations will help to balance your life and help you become a seasoned partier and prepared adult all in four years. In the real world, both qualities are necessary.

For now, you’re a freshman and to be honest nothing is expected of you but to make it through your classes and enjoy the freedom of college.

You can lose your head as long as you keep it in a safe place to re-attach it later. You will need it someday.

For now, enjoy this year because it doesn’t come again no matter how long you pursue college. Be prepared for what’s to come but relish in the freedom in being 18 and having an excuse for everything.