Eight new faculty hired

by Vista Kalipa

Eight new faculty members were hired for the fall 2002 semester at Simpson.

The communications, business, religion, science, history and music departments will all have new faculty.

Ron McCoy joined the Communications Department. McCoy has toured as an actor in a musical dinner theater production of Moll Flanders. He has 16 years of TV experience, including being a news anchor, reporter and director and writer of promotions for television shows. Prior to joining the Communications Department, McCoy worked at Des Moines Area Community College and Simpson as an adjunct professor.

In the Business Department, Kim Samek has been hired to teach Accounting. Samek worked as a Certified Public Accountant at Price Waterhouse Coopers in Phoenix, AZ. She has also worked as a Certified Public Accountant for the Phoenix Justice Department.

Eun Hee Shin has accepted a position as an assistant professor of religion. Dr. Shin was a visiting assistant professor religion at Ohio State University before joining the Simpson faculty.

Amy Doling has been added to the Science Department. Doling came from the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics at Harvard Medical School, where she was a graduate student and PhD candidate.

Joining the History Department as an assistant professor is John Fry. Prior to being hired at Simpson, Fry spent the last five years serving as a graduate instructor at the University of Iowa.

The Music Department has added three new faculty members.

Dr. Jin Park has joined the department as well. Park finished her undergraduate studies at Seoul National University in Korea before coming to Oklahoma University and receiving her doctorate in Piano Performance and Pedagogy. Park will be the rehearsal coach during the opera season and an accompanist for the choir.

Michael Duke joins the department as an established saxophone player. Duke was a graduate student at Indiana University before coming to Simpson.

James Kim has also joined the Music Department. Kim will be the new Choir director and instructor of music. Kim hopes to bring in new styles of repertoire and explore 20th century repertoire in the college choir.

“It is very important for a college choir to do choral pieces by composers such as Mozart, Bach, my personal favorite and some Schubert Lieder,” Kim said.

Kim hopes to produce student who will go out into the real world and make a name for themselves either by performing or conducting.