Senate’s attempt to increase student voter turn out fails

by Andrea McNamara

An attempt by Student Senate to increase student voting did not work for the fall 2002 elections.

“This year’s turn out was about the same as last year’s,” said Eric Elben, sophomore class president. “This year we had a little over 300 people show up to vote at the BSC.”

A new ballot was also used in order to avoid any form of run-off, and in the cases of junior class president and student body president, the positions were gained by plurality, or majority of votes.

“Voter turn out was low and we’re hoping to change that soon,” said Elben. “We’re trying to come up with some new ways that make it easier for students to vote.”

Cory George, student body president-elect, won with 174 votes over Michael Schrodt who had 80 votes. Abby Smith, student body vice president-elect, won with 64 percent of the vote over Kayla Schmidt;. Nicole Molt, CAB president-elect, defeated Kristine Robson with 67 percent of the vote. In the election for RLC president, Katie Ziskovsky defeated Corri Flanigan by over 70 votes. Julie Kock defeated Kim Lamon by 10 votes in the race for junior class president.

“I’m really excited,” said George. “I think that students can look forward to having their money spent wisely.”

George has set many goals for the up-coming year which include, getting a new constitution written and passed, cleaning up some of the established committees and assigning new chairs, and forming goals for next year as he works with Student Senate and the Cabinet.

“This will probably be one of the highlights of my time here at Simpson,” said Smith, the newly-elected student body vice president. “I think that all of us will need a little bit of time to make a transition to these elected positions, but once we adjust I think that we’ll do great.”

As RLC president, Ziskovsky plans on increasing the dialogue between RLC and other established groups on campus, and she would like to initiate more conversation between the members of RLC and people of other religions and those who share different beliefs on campus.

“This is a great experience that will help me to decide what to do with my life,” said Ziskovsky.

A goal that Molt, CAB president, has set for the group is to get a big band here on Simpson’s campus. She would also like to get more students involved in CAB and show the Simpson community how active and determined CAB is.