Student arrested for drugs on campus

by Jasmynne Sloan

A Simpson College student is facing drug and other charges after a recent incident on campus.

The student’s name was not released by the Indianola Police Department because the individual is a juvenile and under Iowa law that individual’s name cannot be released.

The student was arrested on Nov. 24 for public intoxication, possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia and interference with official acts.

The incident was initiated by Indianola police when they made a traffic stop in the Barker parking lot. The student, who was a passenger in the car, fled the scene and was pursued and apprehended by the police.

The student failed a field sobriety test and was charged with public intoxication as well as interference with official acts.

Police said the student was in possession of three bags of marijuana and they charged him with possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver and tax stamp violation.

The student was taken to Broadlawns Medical Center in Des Moines for alcohol evaluation.

Barker resident assistant, Nick Claussen, who is not the accused student’s RA, said, “I personally was a little shocked. As an RA, having this volume of controlled substance right under our noses was a little embarrassing.”

The police also obtained a search warrant for the student’s dorm room, although no charges were filed based on the search.

Claussen said residents were concerned about the impact of the arrest.

“The majority of concerns were about Simpson’s public relations in the eye of our community and potential students,” he said.

“People were generally quite surprised that someone would be doing that sort of thing here at Simpson,” said freshman Grant Peterson.