Vagina Monologues’ stirs interest

by Sara Cowden

The title alone may intrigue or scare off potential audience members, but either way the upcoming production of “The Vagina Monologues” is causing a buzz around campus.

“The play is so diverse,” said director Aimee McCabe. “It addresses violent issues such as rape and molestation, while other monologues are absolutely hilarious.”

McCabe, a theater major, is directing the play as part of her senior project to fulfill her women’s studies minor.

McCabe said there has not been controversy on the Simpson campus as to the content of the play, but she has heard of complaints at other colleges when their theater programs wanted to do the play.

“I want to be clear that ‘The Vagina Monologues’ is not bashing men, but rather about celebrating women and their sexuality.,” said McCabe.

For this production she wanted to recruit a cast that is not typically involved in theater.

“I have always been interested in theater, but never had the guts to do it in high school,” said sophomore Julie Stoddard,. “Plus, I knew how much of a time commitment theater is. Then, Ann Woldt told my theater class about ‘The Vagina Monologues’ and I decided this was my chance. I am really excited now, but I almost chickened out right before auditions.”

Forty-five people auditioned and everyone will have a part. Of the forty-five member cast, ten are theater majors, five women from Simpson’s faculty auditioned, as well as three male students. Due to the large cast and the men’s involvement, some cast members will be creating two original monologues for the Simpson production.

Library Director Cyd Dyer was one of the five staff members to audition.

“I was drawn to the monologues and found them to be very enlightening,” said Dyer. “I think the play is appropriate along the activist path to end violence.

She was active in behind-the-scenes theater throughout high school, but this will be her on stage debut.

The activist angle also appealed to senior Allison Smith.

“I think this is an amazing opportunity to do some theater and to help change the world at the same time,” said Smith. Smith is the lighting designer for “The Vagina Monologues.” She is writing and will appear in one of the original monologues.

The Vagina Monologues is not just a project of pure theater and entertainment, but also of community service.

“We are hoping to raise $6,000 to help fight domestic violence against women and girls. This is why this play is so special,” said McCabe.

The proceeds will be donated to the Warren County Domestic Violence Coalition. According to McCabe, there are no royalty fees for the production as long as the project raises money for a domestic violence charity. The production is in conjunction with V-Day awareness.

There will be two showings of the production, Feb. 27 and 28 at 7:30 p.m. in Pote Theater. Tickets may be purchased for $5 from any cast member beginning Feb. 13 and tickets will be on sale in the box office on Feb. 19.