Speak out, Simpson

by The Simpsonian

The past weeks and months have seen events that have brought the United States ever closer to the brink of war with Iraq. More troops are being sent into training and overseas. The government’s leaders are seemingly in a constant state of diplomacy with the United Nations and leaders of other countries. The future hangs in the balance.

Americans continue to express mixed reactions about the prospect of war. Some believe war is absolutely necessary. Others say war is the wrong answer.

The 17 months that have passed since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks have seen a rebirth of American spirit. There has been a renewed interest in international issues and a heightened awareness of the world around us. These events have tugged at the hearts and minds of many Americans.

Simpson students have not left themselves behind. Too often, college students bear the brunt of accusations from adults, claiming that college students are lazy, apathetic and only care about what directly affects their lives.

With a peace rally on campus, sit-outs for peace and informative sessions on the issues facing the world, venues have been established for students to learn, discuss and debate.

Let us support our friends, relatives and classmates who have been sent into active duty. And let us also remember our roles as citizens of our country and the world. It is our duty to express our thoughts, whether they be supportive or against a war. Let your voices be heard.