Students get special chance to help

by Andrea McNamara

The Special Olympics are to be held on Simpson’s campus, and are expected to bring members of the Simpson community together to serve.

On Monday, April 14 the Special Olympics will be hosted on Simpson’s campus. The event will run from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and will include many different types of track and field events.

“I think that it’s a great opportunity for students to get involved with helping out in the community,” said Bruce Wilson, men’s head basketball coach.

Student Development has been signing up volunteers for the event, and in the past close to 100 volunteers were needed.

“I think that it’s important for others to be aware of people with disabilities. Not everybody has the advantages that we have,” said sophomore Katie Byrd. Byrd has been a volunteer at the Special Olympics for the past two years, and she plans on making this her third year.

“I believe this event will educate others about what special needs people are really like,” said Wilson.

After his son was born with Down syndrome, Wilson became interested in the Special Olympics and saw what kids with Down syndrome can accomplish.

The Special Olympics were previously held at East High School in Des Moines. However, Simpson was chosen to host this event because the facilities in Des Moines didn’t allow indoor events, and because the college campus is expected to be able to provide many more volunteers, as it has students readily available.

“The Special Olympics will bring diversity to Simpson’s campus, so why not experience it?” said Byrd. “I hope that people take advantage of the opportunity to meet other people and see how rewarding it is to help someone that isn’t as fortunate as ourselves.”