The Thursday Line

by Simpson College

Simpson offers international travel fair

Those interested in traveling abroad and exploring the global experience can visit the international travel fair Sept. 23 from 11 a.m to 2 p.m.

This is an opportunity to find out about the May Term trips offered this year and to also meet some of the professors who’ll be heading these trips.

If interested in studying abroad for an entire semester, Vista Kalipa, will be there to answer any questions students might have.

About funding for these trips: Jean Boyce from financial aid will be there to address all questions pertaining financial aid.

A food table will be offered for students to samples tastes from around the world.

Granny D to speak at fall convocation

Granny D, also known as Doris Haddock, will be the featured speaker at this year’s First Year Convocation at Simpson College on Thursday, Sept. 25, at 12:30 p.m. in Pote Theatre.

Haddock is well known for her January 1999 to February 2000 walk across the country at the age of 89. She says she walked to express her belief in political campaign finance reform and as a way to do something constructive while she worked through grief over the deaths of her husband Jim and her best friend Elizabeth.

In preparation for Haddock’s appearance at the college, each of Simpson’s first year students were given her book, Granny D: You’re Never too Old to Raise a Little Hell, the story of her walk across the country, to read over the summer.

Freshman 15 makes students loosen belts

(U-WIRE) LAWRENCE, Kan. – Late-night pizza deliveries, six-packs of Budweiser and all-you-can-eat dining halls add up; the “freshman 15” is for real.

In a study released this summer, researchers at Cornell University found that college freshmen gain an average of 4.2 pounds during their first 12 weeks on campus. This translates to roughly 12 pounds over the course of two semesters.

During the 12-week study at Cornell, participating freshmen gained an average of .3 pounds per week. That is almost 11 times the weekly weight gain expected in 17- and 18-year-olds. It is 20 times the average weekly weight gain of American adults.