Hottest majors on campus: biology, elementarty ed.

by Kelsey Christianson

Many students struggle with choosing a major, and when onefinally decides on a particular field, it isn’t surprising if theychange their mind at least once, if not twice.

Registrar John Bolen works with students in signing up for thecorrect classes for their chosen major.

“The biology degree wins the prize,” Bolen said.

Biology as a first major employs 152 students, and threeadditional students have declared it as a second major.

Elementary education comes in a close second with 135 students,but only one student has declared their major to be elementaryeducation specializing in special education.

Junior Amanda Hunt came to Simpson specifically for education.She is an elementary education major with endorsements in specialeducation, early childhood, and reading.

Hunt’s special education endorsement may be hard to completebecause of the low demand for special education classes, andSimpson offers fewer sections of classes that are in lowdemand.

“We have to offer all the courses to fulfill a major even ifthere’s only one student in it,” Bolen said.

Although these classes must be offered, they can sometimes bedifficult to arrange into a schedule.

Hunt has a personal reason for her interest in the specialeducation department.

“I have a cousin with Down syndrome,” Hunt said. “I’ve alwaysbeen interested in working with children with special needs. I hopeto teach in a resource room for a few years.”

“There are only a few special education classes, and they areonly offered certain semesters,” Hunt said.