International Food Festival today

International Food Festival today

by Zach Leiser

If there’s something that attracts Simpson students, it’s free food.

“It’s always good when there’s free food of any variety, but especially the international stuff,” junior Rebecca Jackson said.

For that reason, the International Student Organization will host the International Food Festival in Great Hall from 10:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. today.

“We want to recognize diversity of students through cuisines, music and dress, all of which will be present at this year’s festival,” said Walter Lain, assistant dean of multicultural and international affairs.

According to Lain, the main purpose of the International Food Festival is to promote the diversity of Simpson’s students.

International students submitted recipes from their native countries, and some will dress in their country’s traditional clothing.

“It really gives students a chance to see the wide variety of cultures, and foods that go along with them from countries around the world,” sophomore Amanda Mulholland said.

This year there will be food from nine countries and representation from more.

“A great thing about this festival is the fact that us, international students, can have the opportunity to share our native foods and cultures with the Simpson community,” said senior and ISO President Om Gurung.

One problem ISO has faced is transforming recipes for two or three servings into recipes to serve 400 or more people.

“We have been working very closely with Blair Stairs and his excitement and support has been very beneficial,” Gurung said.

The event is open to everyone and the meal is free to students with a meal plan. Pfeiffer will be closed for lunch. The Storm Street Grill will still be open.