Storm helping storm victims

by Staff Editorial

It’s the worst natural disaster in our history. We know that. Thousands of people are displaced or dead. We know that, too.

But, what can we do to help? Most of us don’t know that. Or, if we do, we just don’t feel like doing it.

Only four Simpson students risked life and limb standing in the middle of traffic on U.S. Highway 65/69 last Tuesday to raise money for the Red Cross. Since then, that group has increased to two dozen volunteers and has raised more than $3,000 for Hurricane Katrina victims. Chris Waddle, chaplain and director of church relations, has gathered more than $650 for the United Methodist Community on Relief.

But the Simpson community could raise so much more.

Perhaps giving up your $20 weekend bar money isn’t your top priority. But if you were a student in New Orleans, there wouldn’t even be a bar to go to. Maybe sending a few hygienic items doesn’t seem worth the effort, but it is – the refugees need anything they can get – even that stinky soap your grandma got you last Christmas.

While Simpson students enjoy a fairly nice life, there are students who don’t have colleges to go to or even homes to return to. In some cases, students don’t even know where their parents are.

The Simpsonian applauds the efforts some Simpson students are making to send relief down to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Contributing to the Red Cross and UMCOR are just a few of the ways support has been shown. Now it’s time for the rest of us to step up.

Anything you can give helps – $1, $5, clothing, hygienic items, food or time – anything is better than what the refugees have now. Most Simpson students have never known the struggle or had to face the destruction the people of New Orleans are dealing with now. But if you did, a bottle of water or a pack of Ramen Noodles would look pretty good.

We are college students and money isn’t unlimited, but think of others without any money. Simpson, though small and far away, can help. All it takes is a little effort and some heart.