Kappa Theta Psi remains “open,” secretary says

by Erin Kreiman

Recent rumors have led many people on campus to believe that Kappa Theta Psi is closing down and being forced to take down its letters.

But according to Alumni Advisor David Larson, President Chad Matchie and Secretary Matt Triplett, that isn’t the case.

“As long as I’m on campus, we’re still open,” Triplett said. “Kappa is the reason I’m here.”

There are three current members of Kappa – Matchie, a senior, Kyle Coppola, a junior and Triplett, a sophomore. Members and alumni of Kappa share Triplett’s passion to keep the fraternity alive on Simpson’s campus.

Kappa’s members and alumni made the decision to close temporarily to reconstruct and reorganize after membership levels dropped.

The shut-down should only last for one semester, and this will give them an opportunity to refocus, bring back the ideals of Kappa and become more prominent on the Simpson campus.

“We want to bring back some of tradition and luster that has been lost over the years,” Larson said. “I am optimistic that we will come back and be a normal house with a normal status and be able to compete with the other fraternities on campus.”

Kappa Theta Psi is the only local fraternity on campus, making it a unique aspect of Greek life at Simpson. Founded in 1902, it’s the oldest local fraternity west of the Mississippi.

There are no other Kappa Theta Psi houses in the entire nation so members pay no national dues. This gives members control of their expenses. Additionally, the Kappa experience can only begin at Simpson, which ensures strong ties and relationships between Kappa alumni and members.

“I can go to college anywhere,” Triplett said. “But here’s only one Kappa Theta Psi.”

Currently, 14 non-members live in the house, along with Matchie, Coppola and Triplett.

During the restructuring period, members will work on emphasizing the positions throughout the house and work on a new philanthropy.

According to Matchie, current members will work with alumni to learn how to run the fraternity more smoothly and will teach the actives and recruits the values and traditions to keep Kappa alive on campus.

Many students, including senior Tia Bernard, are glad to hear Kappa’s closing is only temporary.

“Kappa is one of my favorite places to hang out,” Bernard said. “It wouldn’t be the same without them on campus.”