Simply Stated

Simply Stated

I just want to say “thanks” to the students who are undertaking the climb! It is great to see college students who want to help others… and am especially appreciative because I have 11-month old twins who have CF. And we want a cure! So, each step you climb…think of two cute little kids in Cedar Falls…who need you to take another step! Good work!

Stacy Van Gorp

Instructor

Cedar Falls

I’m so pleased to read about Simpson College supporting cystic fibrosis and wish you good luck! If there are others who would like to help out, our GREAT STRIDES Walk is in Des Moines on May 20 and we’d love to see Team Simpson there!

Kathy Salisbury

Executive Director – CF Foundation

West Des Moines

I have no specific knowledge of this particular case but I would say two things – first, making a call like this in the 3rd year is much more appropriate than allowing someone to go into their 6th after positive evaluations and be denied as was the case just a few years back if memory serves.

The 3rd year is often intended to allow faculty who are not likely to obtain tenure at an institution to find other, possibly better, fits elsewhere.

Secondly, the idea of having students directly involved in the tenure decision is simply absurd. Students have no idea what it takes to be a faculty member which extends beyond the classroom. It also, IMHO, is inappropriate to provide access to tenure application materials to students who will later be instructed and evaluated by the individual under consideration.

All that said, I do believe that Simpson’s “culture” with respect to faculty, seems to tend toward a “blend in with the crowd” mentality but there are worse places……and better…..and I suspect she’ll do fine.

Foobar

Prof elsewhere

If Gubanc was good enough and allowed everyone to have a voice, even in contrast to hers that everyone had to hear, she wouldn’t need “saving” by a student campaign. Her classes are challenging and many people like her, that is not all needed for a tenure position.

Jess

The question Kari column is lame and the questions are made up just like the ‘ole he said she said crap. We don’t have to hear it, maybe the paper should try another way and not recycling old news stories every semester. It’s the same thing, recycled retainment issue stories and LGBTQA speakers. LAME PAPER!

Jeff

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for all of your lame attempts at educating the public. Speaking of which, shouldn’t you have graduated already? I just wasted a couple of minutes of my life reading this article, and I will never get them back. Please come up with something better next time. My brain cells are threatening suicide…I can’t continue to read this smut!

Erudite

I believe that Susanne Gubanc is one of the best, if not the best, instructor that I’ve ever had. I think it is a travesty that the students of the communications department, me included, might lose her.

Abbie