LGBTQA presents annual drag show tonight

Everyone knows dead week isn’t really that dead. Students are busy studying for finals and finishing up last minute projects. The stress level is high and there’s little free time for any entertainment. But if you can squeeze in a good hour of down time, the Simpson College Drag Show will give you the chance to relax and forget about those finals week jitters.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning Alliance and CAB are hosting the event. This year, the Simpson College Drag Show will be held on Thursday, April 19 at 9 p.m. in BSC.

“Even though it is during dead week, we picked that date because we thought it would be a nice break for people,” freshman Lauren Link said.

Drag shows can be dated back to Shakespearian times when men dressed in drag because women weren’t allowed to act. Now, both men and women act, sing and perform to songs of the opposite sex. These shows have become much more popular throughout the years, especially in gay bars. National pageants have also been developed.

The Simpson College Drag Show has been a popular event in the past with students and faculty participating, as well as attending. Last year Steve Rose, associate professor of education, was one of the participants and he dressed up as Janice Joplin.

“I had a great time,” Rose said. “My wife was there and thought it was hysterical. It was a little embarrassing, but I’ve done worse. I did it because I wanted to help raise money for the cause.”

Though the drag show will be entertaining, it also serves a greater purpose, such as raising money and awareness for certain organizations.

“The drag show is held to increase acceptance of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender lifestyle as well as be entertaining to attendees,” senior Bryan Hoke said. “The goal of the drag show is to allow Simpson student to experience the fun and entertainment of a real drag show on campus and promote acceptance of others regardless of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or physical appearance.”

Prizes include $100 for first place, $75 for second place and $50 for third place. Attendees can also give tips to any of the performers they want to.

“All tips that the performers receive will be donated to the AIDS Project of Central Iowa, and people are allowed to donate as well,” Link said.

On top of being a nice break from studying, the drag show will leave you with lasting memories and fun stories to share.

CoryAnne Harrigan, assistant professor of English and current adviser of LGBTQA, recounts a memory of a past show.

“One of the women was performing in drag as Eric Clapton and her boyfriend was in the audience who was sort of in drag – he was wearing a skirt and lipstick,” Harrigan said. “He ran up on the stage and threw a frilly pair of panties at his girlfriend. It was hilarious.”