Athletic training majors perform athlete physicals

by Abbie CraneStaff Writer

Student athletes at Simpson are now able to receive their physicals on campus by students in the Athletic Training Department. The Athletic Training Department is using this program as a fundraiser to raise money for the department.

Mike Hadden, director of athletic training, said they got the idea from the institutions he and the other staff went through. They are hoping to raise enough money to buy the athletic training students a new computer.

Emily Nelson, a junior athletic training major, said there are two main reasons why she feels it is beneficial to Simpson as a whole.

“It benefits the students because we get the experience doing it,” Nelson said. “It also benefits the athlete because they have all their paperwork in and complete.”

Hadden said the students are simply putting into practice what they are taught and tested on. It is all very basic, but because sophomores through seniors have the opportunity of administering these physicals, there is an older student at each of the different stations.

The basic procedure includes checks on eyes, blood pressure, range of motion, flexibility, strength, and height and weight. A doctor also comes in a second day, just to assure anything else needed, which can’t be taken care of by the student athletic trainer, is taken care of.

Sophomore Cal Busby, an athletic training major, said he believes athletes should take advantage of this program.

“The doctor comes in another day to see everyone, so its not just students.” Busby said.

Student athletes are able to register to have their physical done at school. They’ve already had one date, and they are doing them again on April 25 and May 8.

Both Hadden and Nelson said the first day they did the physicals was a success. They administered to approximately 50 Simpson athletes,. One of them was junior baseball player Curt Bjork.

Bjork said one of the main reasons he took advantage of the program was because it’s easier to do it here on campus.

“It’s easy and close,” Bjork said. “Plus it’s cheap and helping our fellow students.”

Each physical cost the athlete $20 if he or she had an appointment and $25 if not, but that money goes toward the athletic training program.

Hadden said the cost causes some athletes not to participate because they can go to their family doctor and receive them for cheaper.

“People can get it free from a doctor at home, but I would hope they would consider it because it would be beneficial to our program,” Hadden said. “There are some students who are getting them done even though they have to pay because that is the kind of student-athletes we have at Simpson.”

Busby also said he thinks athletes should consider taking advantage of this program because it takes away the hassle of going home, and assures them they will be able to practice when their sport is in season.

“It’s the first year and there are a lot of uncertainties, but we work through them,” Busby said.