Increasing diverasity takes time, but is worth effort

by Our View

The results are in, and, like those for out-of-state enrollment, the number of minority students at Simpson seems to be growing. There is truly no way of knowing for sure the amount of minorities on campus, since the numbers are self-reported, but we can still attempt to analyze the figures in front of us.

Some demographics have grown exponentially, notably those students with African American backgrounds. Still, other groups, including Asian Americans, have seen only slight increases.

Much like Simpson’s attempts to increase the number of out-of-state students, it is difficult to see monumental change from on-campus trends that have been with the school since it’s founding. There is still a tendency for demographic trends to follow those of the average college student in the state.

We can’t snap our fingers and have a campus as diverse as what would be ideal, and, worse, we can’t create an accepting student body open to this change with a simple blink of an eye.

Still, just because a change is happening at a slower pace than what we’d like doesn’t mean we should halt progress already made. We need to make sure that we have the right intent in diversifying our student body, that is, seeking out students with varied backgrounds but a true desire to be a part of seeking their higher education within the Simpson community.

Another item that simply can’t be overlooked is the school’s need to diversify its faculty. There is no disputing the impact of an education that comes from professors with varied experiences and backgrounds. While it may not be easy to find faculty who fit the criteria, the search still needs to continue because the benefit is undeniable.