FlipSide Face

FlipSide Face

by Emily BeckmannStaff Writer

Whether it is meeting with chapel interns, worshiping, or organizing service events, senior Courtney Swanson is actively involved within RLC.

Swanson is currently the president of the organization and started becoming involved with the group as a freshman. Now Swanson has moved into her leadership role within RLC.

“I run meetings with the chapel interns once a week, plan retreats and larger community events, and help chapel interns with anything they need in their area,” Swanson said.

Junior and chapel intern, Erica Shannon, recognizes Swanson as a strong leader.

“Courtney is one of the most awesome leaders that I’ve ever met,” Shannon said. “She takes things seriously, but she also knows when to have fun. She brings a lot of life and passion into what she does.”

Being a leader within the program gives Swanson a chance to work with all of the different service groups and other leaders within the program.

“The thing I like most about RLC is all of the student leadership which lets us do what the students want to do,” Swanson said. “For me, I see a lot of community and fellowship built up with that.”

Swanson stresses the importance of having the RLC on Simpson’s campus.

“Simpson is a Methodist-affiliated school, so it’s important to have some sort of campus ministry,” Swanson said. “I think all students have some sort of spiritual need or want. It’s important for students to continue to be involved and for students to grown in their faith or if they are just curious. It’s important to have opportunities.”

Although Swanson spends a lot of her time with the RLC program, she also enjoys other activities such as baseball and anything outdoors.

“I really like traveling, camping, fishing and riding my bike, basically anything outdoors,” Swanson said. “I also love baseball- the Red Socks. I went to Fenway Park a couple of years ago, and it was awesome.”

After all of her experiences at Simpson and through RLC, Swanson offers up a bible verse as her advice to the Simpson community.

“Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:5-7).