After the Storm

by Tim LoneStaff Writer

Men’s Basketball (5-13, 2-7 IIAC)

L 76-67 @ Central, Jan. 21: The Storm got to within one point of Central with ten minutes left to go before Central got them at arms length and kept them there the rest of the game. Sophomore Tim Dunlavy led the Storm with 22 points. Junior David Ferezy contributed four blocked shots and seven rebounds in a loss for the Storm.

L 76-70 vs. Buena Vista, Jan. 23: Sophomore Tim Dunlavy once again was the high scorer for the Storm with 19 points. Dunlavy also came down with seven rebounds in the contest. Junior David Ferezy scored 11 points and also swatted away five shots. The lead changed hands nine times in this conference game. The Storm led by as many as 14 points before Buena Vista went on a run and stole the win in the second-half.

L 70-55 @ Loras, Jan. 26: The Storm was only down by three at halftime, with a score of 33-30 in favor of Loras. Loras stormed out of the locker room after the break and pulled away for a convincing victory against the Storm. Freshman Reid Branderhorst led the Storm in the scoring column with eight points, while senior Brennen Tubaugh contributed seven points.

Women’s Basketball (17-1, -0 IIAC)

W 86-58 @ Central, Jan. 21: Junior Whitney Franker led the Storm in scoring with 17 points. Senior Ashley Katch scored 14 points and also blocked 6 shots. Junior Denisha Fields scored 14 points off the bench for the Storm in a convincing win over rival Central.

W 99-75 vs. Buena Vista, Jan. 23: Senior Katelyn Whiton led all scorers with 23 points. Junior Carrie Larson was the next highest scorer for Simpson with 15 points off the bench for the Storm. Senior Ashley Katch added eight points and eight blocked shots for the Storm women in a convincing win over conference foe Buena Vista.

W 81-66 @ Loras, Jan. 26: Senior Katelyn Whiton turned in yet another strong performance with 27 points and seven rebounds. Ashley Katch gave the Storm ten more points and turned in five blocked shots. Junior Denisha Fields gave the Storm women ten points off the bench.

Wrestling (3-6, 0-3 IIAC)

L 38-4 vs. Wartburg, Jan. 26: Sophomore Wade Dowling won the only match for Simpson vs. Wartburg. Dowling won 14-5 in his match in the 157-pound weight division.

L 42-9 vs. Dubuque, Jan. 26: Freshman Caleb Brus won his match by forfeit in the 141 pound weight class. Sophomore Curtis Barber won his match 4-2 in the 149 pound weight division.

L 46-3 vs. Coe, Jan. 26: Sophomore Curtis Barber had the lone victory for Simpson in this one with 3-1 decision in the 149-pound weight class.

Track and Field

(No team scores) @ Central Missouri Open in Warrensburg Missouri. The women placed second in the 4 x 440 yard relay with a time of 4:13.78. Senior Suzi Anderson finished second in the women’s long jump with a distance of 5.08 meters. Sophomore Stacey Bonertz placed second in the women’s shot put with a distance of 12.26 meters. Junior Kayla Knaack was a first place finisher in the women’s weight throw with a distance of 13.78 meters.

Tim Lone/Staff Writer