10th annual V-day performances to take place this weekend

This year is the 10th Anniversary of the V-day campaign to help raise money and awareness against women’s violence.

Senior Kayla Burkhiser will be directing this year’s performance of the “Vagina Monologues” at Simpson for her senior project for her women’s studies minor.

The performances will be held on March 28 and 29 at 7:30 p.m. in Camp Lounge in the BSC. Students are encouraged to bring a $5 donation which will go directly to the OASIS domestic abuse service provider in Indianola.

“This show is great way for people to be informed about women’s issues but in a humorous way without stripping the meaning of it,” Burkhiser said. “It’s a really great show that is active in women’s issues and is kind of risqué but we encourage people to have an open mind because this can really help women.”

Jennifer Nostrala, professor of theatre arts and head of the women’s studies Department, was Burkhiser’s adviser for her project.

The V-day campaign is a national celebration that happens in March to help stop domestic violence against women. Students involved in the performances will be wearing black clothes with accents of red and pink.

Three of the seniors who will be performing in the show are Alison Jepsen, Mackenzie Webb and Laura Hersom.

“If you talk about a vagina then you can talk about rape and abuse towards women,” Jepsen said. “The Vagina Monologues helps to empower women and try to make them less ashamed of who they are. It’s something that needs to be talked about and all of the monologues are really distinct with some funny, angry, sad or a mixture of all and the driving force of the show is the way you read it.”

There will also be bumper stickers, posters, DVD’s, buttons, tanning packages and student artwork. T-shirts are $12.

“When we donate the proceeds to OASIS, it shows exactly what the monologues are promoting,” Hersom said. “We are supporting other women, other vaginas and by supporting other vaginas we are banding together to support women as a whole.”